Game Developer (Unity3D)
Hololabs is looking for a versatile game developer with experience in Unity3D to help develop an upcoming scientific adventure series. The game is set in the early 19th century, with a steampunk feel, and is aimed at a young audience (predominantly 8-15 yr old girls). However, a successful candidate may also be asked to contribute to other Hololabs projects, including our upcoming breakdancing game, Floor Kids.
- Build core game systems for an upcoming episodic touch-based adventure game series
- Prototype adventure game mechanics, including: non-linear narrative, decision trees, state machines, dialogue systems, inventory management, etc.
- Integrate 3D assets from the artistic team, create character controls and navigation
- Integrate 2D art, build user interfaces, puzzles, menus, and dialogue screens
- Create documentation for the above systems
- Test the game regularly, provide analysis and feedback
Skills / Requirements
- Be organized, self-motivated, with strong problem-solving, troubleshooting, and analytical skills
- Have intimate knowledge of Unity3D
- Demonstrate a high level of competency in C#: knowledge of typical design patterns, MVC, coroutines, events, delegates, singletons, etc.
- Understand general game programming concepts: 3D math, colliders, physics, character controllers, GUI, navmesh, particle systems, shaders, cameras, etc.
- Familiarity with version control (Git)
Nice-to-have / Culture-fit Requirements:
- Be creative with an interest in design (everyone at Hololabs can contribute)
- Have an interest in adventure games, kids games, and educational puzzles
- Have a fascination with science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
- Have an interest in UX design, simplicity, and elegance
- Be able to self-manage, work in an agile environment, and track progress
- Be informed of the game industry (particularly mobile games) and business trends (eg, Premium vs F2P vs Episodic)
- Be able to "wear many hats" if you have other skills, including: game design, music, graphic design, etc.
This position is only open to candidates in Victoria BC, or those who can easily visit from time to time (eg, Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Seattle, etc.). Remote work is possible, as long as the candidate is available for regular on-site meetings.